Home and community-based services (HCBS) are vital to promoting independence and wellness for people with long-term care needs. The United States spends $130 billion each year on long-term services and supports, a figure that is expected to increase dramatically as the number of Americans over age 65 doubles between now and 2060.1 This is a critical time to make progress toward building a high-quality HCBS system that supports older adults and people with disabilities in achieving independence, good health, and quality of life.
This two-year project offers an important opportunity to address the gap in HCBS measures that support community living. NQF will collaborate with a multi-stakeholder committee to:
- Create a conceptual framework for measurement, including a definition for HCBS;
- Perform a synthesis of evidence and environmental scan for measures and measure concepts;
- Identify gaps in HCBS measures based on the framework; and,
- Make recommendations for HCBS measure development efforts.
For more information, please email HCBS@qualityforum.org.
This project will be guided by a multi-stakeholder committee of experts in HCBS, including consumers. Through a series of meetings, the committee will steer the various project activities and ultimately recommend priorities for HCBS measure development and use.
NQF will maximize public and NQF Member participation in this work, offering at least three formal commenting periods of 30 days and accepting feedback throughout the project.
This project is funded by the Department of Health and Human Services.
For information about the availability of auxiliary aids and services for NQF’s federally funded projects, please visit: http://www.medicare.gov/about-us/nondiscrimination/nondiscrimination-notice.html.
Related NQF Work
For further information, contact Andrew Anderson at 202-783-1300 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Commission on Long-Term Care, Report to the Congress. September 2013. Available at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/GPO-LTCCOMMISSION/pdf/GPO-LTCCOMMISSION.pdf